Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:25:36 +0300

On 26 août 2013, at 08:20, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2013/08/26 04:51:50, mike7 wrote:

> reserving
> 'padding
>> > and
> the
> problem
>> > replace

> general
> stencil
>> > with

> own
>> > skyline
>> >
>> > So what?  Whether or not the skyline is cached or even persistent is
>> > completely orthogonal to the issue at hand, namely what we want to
> be
>> > able to override a stencil's skyline in stencil-integration with.
>
>> It changes the amount of work required to arrive at a solution.
>
> Indeed.  Instead of calling stencil-integrate on a "surrogate stencil"
> or whatever for deriving a skyline, the respective stencil operation in
> stencil-integrate will just plug in a a "surrogate skyline" directly
> specified in the stencil operation and be done.
>
> Which is less work.

What is more work is what I talk about farther down in my previous e-mail.

It is possible to create a stencil primitive that works something like:

`(replacement-skylines ,left ,right, ,up ,down original-stencil)

but that seems kludgy.  It would be better and more consistent with currently
practices in the code base if stencils carried their own skyline information
(as they do their own dimensions), which would require a lot of juggling code
around.

Cheers,
MS