Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 23:01:46 -0700

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:37:17 -0700, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:

On 27 août 2013, at 07:18, "Keith OHara" <address@hidden> wrote:

(1) At the moment, the stencil expressions are assembled first, when markup is
interpreted, and then stencil_traverser() reads the stencil expression to
figure the skylines.  So long as that approach remains in place we need some
sign in the stencil expression to be read by stencil_traverser() telling it to
omit the usual skyline around part of the stencil.  (I could re-use
'delay-stencil-evaluation, but think a new primitive is wiser.)

(2) If someday the skylines are assembled in parallel with stencil-expressions when the
markup is interpreted, then \with-dimensions or \no-skyline could simply throw away the
skyline it built for "text" (in the examples above) and there is no need for a
'with-dimensions' primitive.  (There would still be primitives that move markup like
'translate-stencil' for things like \concat {B\flat}.)

Are systems organized as in (2) better systems than the one we have organized
as in (1) ?

Good summary of the current state of things.  I'd argue that (2) is better.

What, then, is your argument ?

The original function definition for \with-dimension does not need a special
primitive because dimension information is encoded in the stencil in parallel
with stencil-expressions when the markup is interpreted.

The only problem that I have heard of a special primitive is that it would be
redundant, *if* we change a system of type (2) for building skylines.  In the
current system, the primitive seems fine.

The same could be true of skylines, with the caveat that skylines should only
be generated and used when asked for to save computation time, and otherwise
dimensions should be used.

How are skylines asked-for, and is it possible to know if they were asked for
while interpreting the markup ?
{c4-\markup \whiteout \pad-to-box #(-0.5 . 9) #(-0.5 . 1.5) \concat {"Clarinet in
B" \flat}}

The current system (1) seems more efficient at generating only the needed skylines.  We
only need the skyline if the markup ends up in a TextScript with 'vertical-skylines set,
as opposed to titling markup, and then stencil_traverser() works through the stencil
expression and sees that it need not traverse through argument of \pad-to-box and need
not trace the letters in "Clarinet in B"