Re: Adds bar line section to LM (Issue 3408) (issue 12724043)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds bar line section to LM (Issue 3408) (issue 12724043)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:59:48 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:46 AM

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 02:32:35PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:53:44AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
>>I would be tempted to simply insert \bar "|." into the longer examples
>>in the LM, with no explanation, so it is there for curious people to
>>find, and shows them what to look up in the index to learn more.
>
>Either that, or add "alternate bar lines" to 2.4 Final touches.

I actually proposed adding a short section in 2.1.1 on July 6th and
nobody demurred, which is why I went ahead and did it.

Sorry, I only look at the countdown emails... and the only reason
for that is to try to encourage other "mostly-ex project members"
to do the same.

The section I've added also clarifies how bar lines are created
and the difference from bar checks, which confuses no end of
people.  And yes, I do think that bars should come before
accidentals.

Could I tempt you by suggesting a sentence like "Special types of
bar lines can be created with other methods, covered in
@ref{whatever}" ?  that could either link to Notation, or else to
a later section of Learning which explains these.

Ultimately this is just a suggestion; I don't feel that I have the
authority to insist on anything at this point.  I've given my
feedback; do what you think is best.

Cheers,
- Graham

It was counted down and pushed, so making further changes would be a further patch. As I said, I think the opportunity to describe bar lines versus bar checks here has some value in its own right. Had I not already pushed the existing patch, I would have used your suggestion as well as that, deleting my "special bar lines" bit. But considering water->bridge, it's probably not worth further effort.

--
Phil Holmes