Re: Adds bar line section to LM (Issue 3408) (issue 12724043)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adds bar line section to LM (Issue 3408) (issue 12724043)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 17:46:16 +0800

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 02:32:35PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:53:44AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> >>I would be tempted to simply insert \bar "|." into the longer examples
> >>in the LM, with no explanation, so it is there for curious people to
> >>find, and shows them what to look up in the index to learn more.
> >
> >Either that, or add "alternate bar lines" to 2.4 Final touches.
>
> I actually proposed adding a short section in 2.1.1 on July 6th and
> nobody demurred, which is why I went ahead and did it.

Sorry, I only look at the countdown emails... and the only reason
for that is to try to encourage other "mostly-ex project members"
to do the same.

> The section I've added also clarifies how bar lines are created
> and the difference from bar checks, which confuses no end of
> people.  And yes, I do think that bars should come before
> accidentals.

Could I tempt you by suggesting a sentence like "Special types of
bar lines can be created with other methods, covered in
@ref{whatever}" ?  that could either link to Notation, or else to
a later section of Learning which explains these.

Ultimately this is just a suggestion; I don't feel that I have the
authority to insist on anything at this point.  I've given my
feedback; do what you think is best.

Cheers,
- Graham