Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:32:13 +0100

David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:

Hi David,

> That's on the TODO list -

Good to hear.

> I always wanted a function that jumps to the original message in the
> original group, but it's not trivial to do. My idea was to call mairix
> with "m:<MID>", where MID is the message-id of the article. Using the
> "-r" option, we get the full path of the mail file and it should be
> possible to uniquely identify the group from the path

Sounds promising.

> (the problem here is that the user might index several different mail
> back ends with one mairix installation).

Well, those could split their indexing stuff in a per-backend basis
using several mairixrcs and databases.  Then they probably need some
wrappers around the nnmairix interface functions so that they use the
correct mairixrc/database for the current backend.

> Jumping to the original message in this group is another problem since
> we only know the message-id but not the article number. nnmaildir and
> nnml support fetching articles by message-id, but AFAIK nnimap does
> not.

It does, but only on a per-group basis.  But because we already know the
group from the path mairix gives us, we can enter the group and use

,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-refer-article RET ]

`----

,----[ (info "(gnus)Finding the Parent") ]
`----

> Maybe it is somehow possible to apply the correct posting style even
> when replying from the nnmairix group, then we wouldn't have to get
> the original article in the first place.

Maybe.  But how about group parameters?  I use a lot gcc-self and stuff,
so jumping to the original group seems to be the better approach.  And
of course there's the case where the user himself doesn't know the
original group from memory.

Bye,
Tassilo