Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 12:00:11 +0100

On Sun, Feb 03 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Everytime I start Gnus it asks me how to logon at the local IMAP server,
> but instead I want that it uses the username and password that are in my
> ~/.authinfo.
>
> Here's the Gnus side of the configuration:
>
> ,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
> | (require 'nnir)
> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |              '(nnimap "Fastmail"
> |                       (nnimap-address "localhost")
> |                       (nnimap-server-port 143)

If you use a standard port, you can omit it here.

> |                       (nnimap-stream network)
> |                       (nnimap-authenticator login)
> |                       (nnir-search-engine imap)))
> `----
>
> In my ~/.authinfo I have:
>
> ,----[ ~/.authinfo ]
> | machine Fastmail login heimdall password XXX port imap force yes
> | machine localhost login heimdall password XXX port imap force yes
> `----

I don't see anything obvious.  (Though one of the entries seem
redundant, "port imap" as well, IIRC.)

So I'd suggest to edebug `imap-interactive-login' and
`nnimap-open-connection'.

In a nutshell (see (info "(elisp)Edebug") for details):

- Require imap and nnimap.  Put the cursor inside the function
  definitions in imap.el/nnimap.el and press `C-u C-M-x'.

- Repeat the problem.  Step through the code using `SPC' or `n' and
  watch the results of the evaluated expressions in the echo area (or
  *Messages*).

- You may also evaluate expressions using `e' (including let-bound
  variable, etc.) and jump to a specified location: (info
  "(elisp)Edebug Eval"), (info "(elisp)Jumping"), ...

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)