Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:16:46 +0100

David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:

Hi David,

>> ,----[ C-h f gnus-summary-refer-article RET ]
>> | gnus-summary-refer-article is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
>> `gnus-sum.el'.
>> | (gnus-summary-refer-article message-id)
>> |
>> | Fetch an article specified by message-id.
>> `----
>
> Ah, OK. I only tried nnimap-retrieve-headers with a message-id and it
> didn't work.

BTW, I have tested this with my rather large (10000+ messages)
emacs-devel group, and it's quite fast.  I enter the summary buffer with
`C-u 0 RET' so that no articles are displayed and then do `M-x
gnus-summary-refer-article RET <message-id>'.  Even with m-ids of
ancient articles I don't get a noticable delay.  Maybe dovecot does some
indexing to make that possible.  At least the feature list says:

  Dovecot's indexes are self-optimizing. They contain exactly what the
  user's client commonly needs, no more and no less.

Seems the message-id is included there.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck  Norris  doesn't  daydream.  He's  too busy  giving  other  people
nightmares.