Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server

From: David
Subject: Re: Automatically authenticating at local imap server
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:58:49 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> D> Jumping to the original message in this group is another problem
> D> since we only know the message-id but not the article
> D> number.
>
> You could use the Gnus registry if it's loaded.  It will tell you the
> last place a message ID was seen (it learns this by looking at the
> visible messages every time you enter a group, and by hooking into
> spool/move/copy/delete on each backend).

Yes, I guess the best way would be to first check the registry for the
group and do the additional mairix search only if the registry is not
loaded or does not know the location of the message. I don't want to
rely solely on the registry though, because of the limitations you
describe:

> It may not know the location for various reasons, e.g. the user limits
> the size of the registry or the message hasn't been seen yet,

I guess the latter would be a problem for users with big archive groups
which they rarely open.

> The registry doesn't currently record the article number, but it could.

The article number won't be necessary as Tassilo already mentioned. The
lookup through gnus-read-header works just fine.

-David