nnnil (was: Two problems with gnus)

From: Jochen Küpper
Subject: nnnil (was: Two problems with gnus)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:20:58 +0200

On 22 Aug 2004 07:21:49 -0700 Tang Yan wrote:

Tang> 2. Extra instructions for users only need Gnus to read mails
Tang> with imap/pop support.

Personally I have
,----[ C-h v gnus-select-method RET ]
| gnus-select-method's value is (nnnil "")
`----

At one point I got the impression (reading the ding list) that nnnil
is kinda the preferred primary select method, cause then everything
"real" is at par (second).

Could someone comment on this, please.

If it is, it should be added to the manual in a prominent spot, and
the rest of the manual should assume to put methods in
gnus-secondary-select-methods. There would be no implicit assumptions
on using nntp or such anymore, clarifying issues like the one raised
above as well.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)