Two problems with gnus

From: Tang Yan
Subject: Two problems with gnus
Date: 21 Aug 2004 04:34:47 -0700

Now I am trying to use gnus to handle my mails, but I have some problem
with imap in gnus.

The problem is as following, a little strange:
1. Where is my new imap mail?

First, my simple `gnus.el' is only for mail:
(setq user-mail-address "foo@bar.org"
user-full-name "blahblah")

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.bar.org"
(nnimap-server-port 143)
(nnimap-authenticator login)
(nnimap-stream network)
))
Then I go into {nnimap:imap.bar.org} and subscribe `INBOX' group and
return to the *Group* buffer like this:
-------------------------------
1: INBOX
0: nndraft:drafts
-------------------------------
But when I press `enter' on the line `1: INBOX', waiting for a second
or two, and after something splashing in minibuffer(Updating !@#$%^& ),
the *Group* buffer becomes:
-------------------------------
0: INBOX
0: nndraft:drafts
-------------------------------
Where is my new mail? I have checked my mailbox from webmail, and the
unread flag have been cleared, so the new mail has been read, but
actually I don't even touch it.
And the output of *imap-log* buffer is like this:
63 SELECT "INBOX"
* 18 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [UNSEEN 1] Message 17 is first unseen
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \*)] Limited
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1] UIDs valid
63 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
64 UID SEARCH UID 81
* SEARCH
64 OK UID SEARCH completed
65 UID FETCH 81 (UID RFC822.SIZE BODY BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Subject
>From Date Message-Id References In-Reply-To Xref)])
* 18 FETCH (UID 81 RFC822.SIZE 640 BODY ("text" "plain" ("format"
"flowed"
"delsp" "yes" "charset" "gbk") NIL NIL "8bit" 82) BODY[HEADER.FIELDS
(Subject From Date Message-Id References In-Reply-To Xref)] {167}
Subject: 999999
From: "blahblah" <foo@bar.org>
FROM: foo@bar.org

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:27:28 +0800

)
65 OK UID FETCH completed
66 UID STORE 81 +FLAGS (\Seen)
* 18 FETCH (FLAGS (\Flagged \Seen))
66 OK UID STORE completed
67 EXPUNGE
67 OK EXPUNGE completed
68 CLOSE
68 OK CLOSE completed

I guess it is a small & silly question, but it is really annoying. I
have searched google and read most of gnus manual, but it seems only
this problem kisses me. Why?

2. Another question is strange too although I have solved it. But it
made me believe that there is something wrong in the document of gnus.
gnus version: 5.9.0
nnimap 0.131

This is part of my gnus.el:
-------------------------------------
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.bar.org"
(nnimap-server-port 143)
(nnimap-authenticator login)
(nnimap-stream network)
))
-------------------------------------
Now I want to save the user&password pair so that next time when I
start gnus I don't need to input them. So I change the above like this:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.bar.org"
(nnimap-server-port 143)
(nnimap-authenticator login)
(nnimap-stream network)
(nnimap-authinfo-file (expand-file-name
"~/.authinfo"))
))

And in "~/.authinfo" I wrote:
---------------------------------
machine imap.bar.org login foo password !@#%$
---------------------------------
But when I start gnus I get an error: "error stringp nil..."
OK, so I guess somewrong with the new line I added
(nnimap-authinfo...),
so I rewrote it like this:
(nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
Well, this time it works, but why?

What's the worse, I still have to input the user&password pair.
Then I read almost all the manual of gnus but no explanation.
At last I found a trick in google: add "port 143" in .authinfo file:
machine imap.bar.org login foo password !@#%$ port 143
And this time, I don't need to input the pair. But all the examples in
manual just say machine, login, password.

Thank you very much.