Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: How to uninstall Emacs?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:39:42 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > I also suggest that people keep a journey log of their travels
> > through the system. Memory is a fickle thing. Confirmation bias is
> > always skewing our beliefs. The palest ink is better than the
> > strongest memory. Keeping data on the reality can keep us
> > objective.
>
> The best journey log in computing is the sweet initialization files
> for Emacs and the shell (bash, zsh, etc.). Those are actually
> programs - tools, not mere "initialization".
>
> So, instead of writing "today I learned how to do word padding in
> zsh ...", you save that particular function where you used it in
> such a file, as in (third line in the function body)

Such a journey log would be useful.  Many people keep blog of their
experiences to share with others.  I have benefited greatly from those
blogs and love to read them.

However I was thinking of something slightly different for this.  For
example let me pick a section of active Sid time from my Sid system log.

2013-10-15  Nasty bug.
  If using straight /dev/mdX then the system is unbootable.

2013-10-22 opening a new bash shell now complains:
  bash: data/zeitgeist-daemon.bash_completion: No such file or directory
  bash: data/zeitgeist-daemon.bash_completion: No such file or directory
  zeitgeist-core is a dependency of rhythmbox-plugins

2013-11-06 30.0.1599.101-2 chromium: Running without the SUID sandbox!
  workaround: ln -s chromium-sandbox /usr/lib/chromium/chrome-sandbox
  2013-11-08 Fixed in 30.0.1599.101-3.

2013-11-24 Is this the end of xpdf?
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      xpdf
      fontconfig-config libfontconfig1 libfontconfig1-dev
    3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  I held all four packages so as to prevent apt breakage.

2013-11-28 dovecot upgrade requires manual attention to adjust the SSL
  certificate locations and to merge in new config file.

2013-12-07 dist-upgrade wants to remove libreoffice
  This is due to libharfbuzz0b replacing libharfbuzz0a.
  2013-12-08 Okay the next day with the next package upload.

2013-12-23 dist-upgrade normally, all appeared good,
    upgrade openssl 1.0.1e-4 1.0.1e-5
  except sshd fails to run with:
    OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 1000105f, you have 10001060
  This is a deja-bug. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=732940
    pulled openssl back to version 1.0.1e-4, didn't fix things
    tried to pull libcrypto but failed due to dependency hell
  See that a new openssh 1:6.4p1-2 was uploaded to fix this problem.
    Waited it out until the new openssh was available for download.
    Installed it.  All seemed to have been fixed.  But it was several
    hours of inop sshd until the new package was uploaded.

2013-12-29 Rebooting required purging hal.
    [158492.039848] udevd[12606]: failed to execute
    '/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event'
    'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
    This is due to deprecated syntax used by hal in the
    /lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules file.  The "+=" syntax is deprecated.
    Solution: Remove hal.  The Debian hal maintainer reports that it is
    now deprecated.  Nothing should depend upon hal anymore.  If
    installing a new Jessie system hal would not be installed anymore.

2013-12-29 Sometime in the previous apache upgrades.
    [proxy_html:notice] [pid 2496] AH01425: I18n support in
    mod_proxy_html requires mod_xml2enc. Without it, non-ASCII
    characters in proxied pages are likely to display incorrectly.
  Solution: a2enmod xml2enc
    http://apache.webthing.com/svn/apache/filters/proxy_html/mod_proxy_html.c
    *** NOTICE TO PACKAGERS
     This module now relies on mod_xml2enc for i18n support.
     You should make mod_xml2enc a dependency in your packages.

And the log goes on.  That was during an active time in the
development of Debian Sid Unstable.  At the present time Sid has been
frozen for the last six months or so in preparation for release of
Jessie 8.  It is scheduled to thaw on April 25th.

Bob