gpsd-users

Re: gpsd killing device adapter

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd killing device adapter
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:06:12 -0800

Yo Michael!

I'm replying to the list.  I only do private email with paying clients.
See:

https://gpsd.io/SUPPORT.html#_private_mail_to_maintainers

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:37:02 +0000
Michael Bassi <mbassi@srcaus.com> wrote:

> Nope, not a Raspberry Pi.

Then a little out of my prior experience.

> We have an Ultimate Breakout v3 GPS

Oh.  Pretty sad GPS (MTK3339) on that board.  You can do much better,
for cheaper.

> connected to a Xavier AGX via the
> GPIO pins.

Oh, Nvidia Jetson AGX Xavier.  The little experience I have had woth
Jetsons has been bad.

> Yesterday I had some luck seeing the GPS data on our host
> by using minicom (and stty) I still have a problem starting the gpsd
> service though (as mentioned earlier, it seems to 'kill' /dev/ttyTHS0)

gpsd is not a service, but a daemon.

> I ran the debug script with a slight modification when searching for
> device type to ttyTHS*

> nvidia@nvidia-desktop:~$ sudo sh test.sh

You realize that "sudo" does not make you root?

Google: sudo sudon't

> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04

A bit old, but s/b OK.

> + command -v gpsd
> /usr/sbin/gpsd
> + gpsd -V
> gpsd: 3.17 (revision 3.17)

That is almost 5 years old.  We don't support that.  Can you try on git
head?

> + gpspipe -w -n 2 -x 20
> gpspipe: invalid option -- 'x'
> Usage: gpspipe [OPTIONS] [server[:port[:device]]]

As I said, old and unsupported.

> /usr/bin/python
> + python -V
> Python 2.7.17
> + python -c import gps;print(gps.__version__)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__version__'

As I said, old and unsupported.

> # Other options you want to pass to gpsd
> GPSD_OPTIONS="-n"
> #!/bin/sh
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:          gpsd
> # Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog $network
> # Should-Start:      bluetooth dbus udev

Startig bluetooth on a Raspberry Pi steals the serial port.  Maybe this
board is similar?  That might be your problem.

> nvidia@nvidia-desktop:~$ sudo gpsd -N -n -D8 -F /dev/ttyTHS0

See above about sudon't.

> gpsd:SPIN: control socket /dev/ttyTHS0 is fd 3
> gpsd:PROG: control socket opened at /dev/ttyTHS0

Opened fine.  Did you set the port speed before doing this?

> gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.17)

Unsupported version.

> gpsd:INFO: startup at 2022-02-07T23:33:50.000Z (1644276830)

I need a lot more than that.  Maybe several minutes worth.

> after running ^
> ls -l /dev/ttyTHS0
> srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb  7 18:33 /dev/ttyTHS0

Wierd.  suid bit set?  And that is a file, not a device.  Totally hosed.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588