gpsd-users

Re: gpsd killing device adapter

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd killing device adapter
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:56:56 -0800

Yo Adam!

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 19:43:58 +1000
Adam Nielsen via <gpsd-users@nongnu.org> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what you mean by this:
> > If you read the artciles that Google offers you (not the joke
> > ones), or the sudo man page, you will find the effective uid is in
> > fact zero, but many other things, like having /sbin in the PATH,
> > and not properly set. Leading to confustion for the benefit of
> > worse security.
>
> None of the results Google gives me mention that.  The wonders of
> providing everyone with their own personalised list of search results
> I suppose.

I actually stopped using Google a long time ago as they don't give
two people the same resuts for the same search.  Targeting.

Try this one:

https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_sudo_sudont

Or just read the man page.

> It's a fair point that the environment is different, but really root
> is UID 0,

Not according to POSIX.

> how you configure the environment is up to you and probably
> depends on your distro.

Except for the POSIC mandated details.

And to focus on the environment is to get lost in one of many details.
sudo is insecure, its man page says so, even Leonard Pottering has gone
off against it.  And sudo does things that violate POSIX, so programs
that expect POSIX, like gpsd, fail in "interesting" ways.

> But I take your point, sudo may give a different result to a root
> login.

Not may, WILL.  RTFM.

> > > I guess if you remove "-F" it should work?
> >
> > You couldn't just try it?  My bet would be yes it now works, after
> > you reboot and restore the proper device file.
>
> I wasn't the one with the problem, we'll have to wait for the OP to
> try it and report back :)

Ah, sorry.  Sadly we rarely get reports back when users fix things.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588