gpsd-users

Re: gpsd killing device adapter

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd killing device adapter
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:37:06 -0800

Yo Adam!

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:15:14 +1000
Adam Nielsen via <gpsd-users@nongnu.org> wrote:

> > > nvidia@nvidia-desktop:~$ sudo sh test.sh
> > You realize that "sudo" does not make you root?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this:
>
> $ sudo whoami
> root

If you read the artciles that Google offers you (not the joke ones), or
the sudo man page, you will find the effective uid is in fact zero, but
many other things, like having /sbin in the PATH, and not properly set.
Leading to confustion for the benefit of worse security.

> > > nvidia@nvidia-desktop:~$ sudo gpsd -N -n -D8 -F /dev/ttyTHS0
>
> According to the gpsd help, -F is used to specify a path to a "control
> socket".  It's not the path to the GPS device.

Whoops, I missed that you had the -F.  That is obviously your problem.
gpsd is using it like a socket, and bad things are heppening.

> > > gpsd:SPIN: control socket /dev/ttyTHS0 is fd 3
> > > gpsd:PROG: control socket opened at /dev/ttyTHS0
>
> It looks like gpsd is creating its control socket over the top of
> /dev/ttyTHS0, as requested by -F.

Yup.  Self inflicted wound.

> I guess if you remove "-F" it should work?

You couldn't just try it?  My bet would be yes it now works, after you
reboot and restore the proper device file.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588