gpsd-users

Re: gpsd killing device adapter

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Re: gpsd killing device adapter
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:15:14 +1000

> > nvidia@nvidia-desktop:~$ sudo sh test.sh
> You realize that "sudo" does not make you root?

I'm not sure what you mean by this:

$ sudo whoami
root

> Google: sudo sudon't

This gives me a number of pages that all talk about
https://github.com/JerichoJyant/sudont which is a joke program that
apparently lets you use sudo without typing in a password.  If you want
to use sudo without typing in a password, you can update the
configuration file, you don't need to install a program like this.

> > nvidia@nvidia-desktop:~$ sudo gpsd -N -n -D8 -F /dev/ttyTHS0

According to the gpsd help, -F is used to specify a path to a "control
socket".  It's not the path to the GPS device.

> > gpsd:SPIN: control socket /dev/ttyTHS0 is fd 3
> > gpsd:PROG: control socket opened at /dev/ttyTHS0

It looks like gpsd is creating its control socket over the top of
/dev/ttyTHS0, as requested by -F.

> > after running ^
> > ls -l /dev/ttyTHS0
> > srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb  7 18:33 /dev/ttyTHS0

This now appears to make sense.  Your device file has been replaced
with a new socket file that can be used to communicate with a runnning
gpsd instance, as requested by the -F option.

I guess if you remove "-F" it should work?

Cheers,
Adam.