gpsd-users

Re: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 13:20:06 -0700

Yo Josh!

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 20:05:19 +0000
"Stein, Josh" <josh@anl.gov> wrote:

>   That's interesting. I followed the build instructions to a "T"
> (link provided in my first email), and do not see any mention of
> systemd_install in the scons command sequence. The only time the
> instructions had me mess with scons was when I executed the following:
>
> scons && scons check && scons udev-install

I can look at your build log if you wish.  Otherwise, I'm just guessing.

> At this point, I'm not sure where to head

My advice: just remove gpsd from systemd control.
I think you just need to:

    rm /lib/systemd/system/gpsd.socket
    rm /lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service
    reboot

Or, read the gpsd instructions on systemd(umpkopf) and see if you can
make it work as intended.  Or maybe a systemd user will show up and be
helpful.

> - but will dive into my
> current issue (which points to the systemd being the cause of my
> current issue) and read some more about how/what systemd is trying to
> do.

If you figure out how to tame that daemon spawner, let us know.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588