gpsd-users

Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use

From: Stein, Josh
Subject: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 17:57:17 +0000

Hello all,

  This morning I started a from-scratch installation of gpsd on a rPi3. Brand new install of OS as well.

Distro is latest raspbian which reports to be based on debian 10 (buster)

Uname –r reveals: 5.10.23-v7+ for the kernel

I followed the build instructions which started here:

https://gpsd.io/installation.html (specifically the section for the Raspberry Pi).

I grabbed the tarbal from here: https://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gpsd/?C=M&O=D

Choosing gpsd-3.22 dated 09-Jan-2021 02:44

I then followed the build instructions here: https://gpsd.io/building.html

The build went fine without any gating errors.

Upon invoking gpsd (as root) with : “gpsd -N -D3 -F /run/gpsd.sock /dev/ttyUSB0”

(as suggested in the troubleshooting section here: https://gpsd.io/troubleshooting.html)

The following output is produced:

gpsd:WARN: This system has a 32-bit time_t.  This gpsd will fail at 2038-01-19T03:14:07Z.

gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.22)

gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use

gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!

gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv6 port gpsd, Address already in use

gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!

gpsd:ERROR: command sockets creation failed, netlib errors -1, -1

I verified before invoking the above command that there was no /run/gpsd.sock file

I also verified I can see and talk to the gps using: “gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0”

Any ideas for me to try?

Samuel Joshua Stein (Josh) – Principal Research Engineer

Argonne Special Projects – Material Science Division

Argonne National Laboratory

9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne IL  60439

(630) 252-4105