gpsd-users

Re: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:59:38 -0700

Yo Josh!

You accidently sent it to me, not the list.  Followups to the list
please.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 18:47:01 +0000
"Stein, Josh" <josh@anl.gov> wrote:

>   The reason for grabbing it from that savannah.gnu.org site was
> simply me following the guide.

Yes, good that you follow instructions!  :-)

But when we get to debugging, git head can receive fixes in minutes.

>   Below is the output from the debug script. It appears my
> installation procedure has installed services via systemd which I
> didn't expect.

No one expects the Spammish Intuition!

> In any event, here is the output:

And, the smoking gun, systemd(umb) in the middle:

> /usr/bin/netstat
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address State
> PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 localhost:gpsd 0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1/init
tcp6       0      0

And systemd(umber) did not find your /dev/ttyUSB0 either:

> /usr/local/bin/gpspipe
> {"class":"VERSION","release":"3.22","rev":"3.22","proto_major":3,"proto_minor":14}
> {"class":"DEVICES","devices":[]}

I hate sysstemd(umbest), so my suggestion is that you remove gpsd from
under its control.  I refuse to use systemd(rool) so if you want to
use it to run gpsd someone else will have to help with that.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588