gpsd-users

Re: [Question] gpsd, ntrip & C94-M8P (u-Blox)

From: Florian Kiera
Subject: Re: [Question] gpsd, ntrip & C94-M8P (u-Blox)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:37:48 +0200

Hey Gary!

Am 28.04.20 um 21:58 schrieb Gary E. Miller:
Yo Florian!

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:25:58 +0200
Florian Kiera <address@hidden> wrote:

Looks like a fatal error to me.  Any logs/doc on what your ntrip
server is expecting?
My ntrip caster is expecting 2 different requests: first the source
request (base output). That for it needs a decode password and the
stream it is sending to (encoding_pw@ip:port/stream).
gpsd can not do that.  gpsd can only handle one ntrip URL that is
a complete spec of what to get from the caster.

The first request is on base side. It works with str2str to send data to the ntrip caster. (./str2str -in serial://ttyACM0 -out ntrips://:1234@ip:2101/BASIS)

I want to use gpsd to receive rtcm3 information from my ntrip caster, which "gpsd -G ntrip://usr:pw@ip:2101/BASIS" does. I was able to see the RTCM3 information in gpspipe -w or -r. Since it does not work anymore because gpsd got an issue with the successful message from the caster (200 OK, Standard respond from any ntrip caster that is going to open the stream), I cannot reproduce it and post here as log. So whatever happened to gpsd while I updated to the git lab 3.20.1~dev must've caused the issue I now got with receiving data from the caster. So after all it is supposed to be 1 ntrip URL that gpsd uses as source for correction data.

So far this has worked for everyone.

If you need otherwise, then send doc and patches.

If it was not of interest
It is of interest, but with no doc, and nothing to test against, nothing
anyone else can do.

could you please tell me what
information you expect from me about the ntrip caster?
Documentation on what it expects, and a patch to make it happen.

As ntrip server I can also just use str2str which sends the data in
the following syntax: "./str2str -in serial://ttyACM0 -out
ntrips://:encoding_pw@ip:port/stream" instead of the open source
ntrip server which I cannot tell what it exactly does.
If you cannot tell, them I am totally lost.
You did not parse my sentence as I intended.  gpsd forwards the ntrip
data to a receiver, you did not specify a receiver.  So no place for the
ntrip data to go.
The base, server and caster never had any issues and provides the rtcm3 messages as intended to the rover computer. The problem was that I use "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -G ntrip://usr:pw@ip:port/STREAM" (/dev/ttyACM0 is my receiver! always been!) which wont send the rtcm3 messages to ttyACM0. Instead it just gathered all information. (gpspipe -r    gpspipe -w)

Did you intend your rover to be set to dynModel 0?
I did not, I dont even know what exactly dynModel is. :/
Then you have a lot of reading to do:

    https://www.u-blox.com/en/docs/UBX-13003221

Thank you for the data sheet. Still don't understand why setting base to "stationary" is wrong? Or why setting the rover to "portable" is?

[ntrip_caster_output_str2str.txt  text/plain (2337 bytes)]

The interesting part would be the output TO the ntrip caster.
Clearly str2str is sedning something to the ntrip server to make it
happy that gpsd is not sending.
Base output? Cause that is what base_gpsd.txt is giving. str2str and
gpsd don't make a difference, at least in point of base output.
Only in survey-in mode.  YOu are not in survey-in mode that I can tell.

Fixed Mode. Gave a fixed position for testing. I don't mind if they are not that accurate but still faster than survey-in.

It is surveyed-in?  Data in "-p NAV-SVIN"
I gave it a fixed position for testing around because else it would
take a lot of time whenever I restart my base computer. So no its not
surveyed-in for now. (should do so when it goes into proper work)
SURVEY-IN can take just a few seconds.  Do it right, or don't do it.

It doesn't matter if I set a fixed position or survey in. Either way I get the rtcm3 messages from the caster that gpsd wont provide to the rover M8P (/dev/ttyACM0).

I assume this is "-p STATUS"?  What happened to the ACk/NAKs??
I don't know
Was my assumption correct?  Or not?

About the status yes it was. I have written an overview about which file contains what information in the email as I've messed up adding the attachments. Thought it still would be clear with the file names. My bad.
"I don't know" was referred to ACK/NAKs.

I will provide the proper status information with "-P 20.30" I hope.

base_x_v_and_p.txt contains the corresponding output of "ubxtool -p
STATUS/CONFIG -v 2 -P 20.30"