gpsd-users

Re: [Question] gpsd, ntrip & C94-M8P (u-Blox)

From: Florian Kiera
Subject: Re: [Question] gpsd, ntrip & C94-M8P (u-Blox)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 14:42:32 +0200

Heyo Gary!

Am 23.04.20 um 22:04 schrieb Gary E. Miller:
Yo Florian!

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:11:56 +0200
Florian Kiera <address@hidden> wrote:

command: "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -G ntrip://:@IP:PORT/STREAM" only
puts the information, the ntrip caster is giving out and the M8P
is giving out, into the PC itself but not to the M8P (the USB port
since it is not addressed at that point?).
Uh, missing a bunch of details.  Are you now talking about the rover
config?

Yes, I was talking about the rover since its the part I want to use
gpsd for. Using that command didn't make the green RTK LED of the M8P
flash (no correction data received) but i was able to see the data
from the ntrip caster and the M8P (rover) in gpspipe -w.
There are many different RTCM2 messages.  The u-blox can be picky
about the ones it wants for a solution.  So check that the str2str
and ntrip are sending the same message types.

Receiving the information from gpspipe -w and RTKlib's stream2stream
function giving me the data as well:
The SAME data?  Many ntrip clients send data to the ntrip server to
modify what is sent.  This is badly documented.  For example, the
"send GGA" option.  Some NTRIP serves need it, but I can not find
doc on it.

./str2str -in ./str2str -in ntrip://usr:pw@ip/BASE (output is the
console) ./str2str -in ntrip://usr:pw@ip/BASE -out
serial://ttyACM0:19200 (made the RTK LED flash))
Seeing the actual data would be better.

That outputs made me believe that the fixed stations part works
(Base->(using ntrip server)->ntrip caster). That for I made a check
on the base side for now and concentrated on the rover.
That is the proof of the pudding.

What worked for me was using RTKlib's
str2str that uses an input stream (ntrip caster) and gives it to
the output stream (the USB port of the M8P).
And you are not using the serial port?  The common configuration is
to have the base send data to the rover over a port on the roer that
gpsd is NOT using.
Haven't tried this so far because I thought gpsd is able to send
(correction data) and receive (relative accurate data) over the same
port.
Yes, it can, but the port 2 method is easier, and has a high success
rate.

At the moment I'm only using the micro USB port of the M8P to
connect to my USB port.
I will try to use the serial port as well I guess. (Still would like
to solve it through one port (IF possible))
Getting things to work the simpler way first removes many variables
that could be tripping you up.

A few basic questions.  Only some F8P support RTCM3.  What are your
firmware versions?  How is are your F9P configured?

new feature, today, in ubxtool:
         ubstool -p CONFIG

Run that, base and rover, send the output here, that will help me see
how your system is configured.  u-blox problems usually boil down
to configuration problems.
Thank you, I've installed the new version and ran the command. (I will provide the outputs as attachment: base_config.txt and rover_config.txt )

You realize that is one really long run-on sentence?  I'm unclear
how to parse that.
Sorry for that one. I just wanted to explain what I'd like to do with
gpsd on the rover side. Obviously not well, sorry. gpsd is able to
retrieve data from ntrip caster, right?
Some NTRIP casters, in some NTRIP modes.

I want to retrieve my correction data from the ntrip caster and paste
it to the M8P. Basically what the str2str function of RTKlib does.
And something else.  You are not the first with this issue where
str2str works, but using gpsd does not.

Sadly I cannot retrieve the position data from the M8P afterwards,
because I only used one port and it will be used by RTKlib so gpsd
cannot use it.
Not a problem, depending on how you do it.

About gpsd I wanna use it anyway to retrieve the
position information from the Rover's M8P just with str2str together
it wont work.
It can.

So I read the gpsd manual which says:
No need to read the man page to the people that wrote it.
Sorry, my intention was to make clear why I think gpsd is able to solve my problem (I see now that it wasn't needed at all)

That for I thought gpsd could solve both of my problems: receive the
data from the ntrip caster and share it with the M8P & retrieve the
relative accurate position from the M8P
Yes.  Many make it work fine.

You made no mention of how you configured your base and rover and
how you verified that config.
I've been using the User Guide of the M8P's and the u-blox center to
set them up:
gpsd does not run on Windows.  gpsd does not use u-center.  I don't use
u-center.  Use ubxtool if you want help here.
Just been using u-center through wine to set the M8Ps up. Haven't known about the functionality of ubloxtools. I will use the ubloxtool for the future.

Send the output of; "ubxtool -p CONFIG"

  ____ B______ change the port settings of USB to protocol out: RCTM3 and
protocol in: none
Wrong.  No input protocol means you can't talk to it!!!
Okay, left them to default whenever "none" appears (UBX+NMEA+RTCM3).

  ____ B______ start a survey-in (TimeMode 3) to get the current location
(for testing just an accuracy of 10m) or just set a fixed (absolute)
position -> fix mode will go to TIME
  ____ B______ enable RCTM3 messages: 1005, 1077, 1087 and 1230 (all on 1
tick for USB)
1Hz is too fast.  You can overload the serial lines.

You may also need 4072,0

  ____ R______ change the port settings of USB to protocol out: NMEA and
protocol in: RCTM3
Which breaks gpsd...

Other people have done what you are trying, but it requires
changing the configuration  on the rover after you start the rover
gpsd.
You mean the rover's M8P's configuration?
Yes, I said" "changing the configuration on the rover".  And just above
I mentioned some of the incorrect settings.
Sorry, thought you referred to the computer instead of the M8P.

If so what would the
configuration look like/need to be like? =-O
No idea.  As I keep saying, this has been a common issue.  No
definitive solutions yet.

Is there nothing more I can do through/with gpsd at that point?
Much.  Start with "ubxtool -p CONFIG".

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

Again thank you for taking your time for me! As attachment I also provide different short logged outputs of the corresponding function/computer (to show which messages are sent/received):

basis_gpsd.txt: contains the output if I would run gpsd on the base (./str2str -in serial://ttyACM0 | gpsdecode produces the same output) ntrip_caster_output_str2str.txt: contains the output of the ntrip caster using the str2str function ntrip_caster_output_gpsd.txt: supposed to contain the output through "gpsd -n -G ntrip://usr:pw@ip:port/BASIS" and "gpspipe -w" but since updating to the gitlab version it somehow cannot handle the success feedback of the ntrip caster. (downgrading didnt work either) I was certain to have seen the same output as in str2str on the rover, however gpsd got a problem handling the ntrip caster's success message.

I've tried to use the RS232 serial port. Sadly I was not able to send or receive data through it. Either I oversaw the right settings or it was not intended to be used for processing correction data. May I just have over-read essential information from the user guide? I've tried sending the correction data with the str2str which didn't give me any feedback nor the try to receive data through the UART gave success. (Also tried different baud rates)

Regards, Florian