Re: [Gomp-discuss] sentinels

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] sentinels
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:17:32 +0000 (GMT)

On 4 Feb 2003, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> I think the Fortran stuff can wait.  G95 is nowhere near complete and
> like I told you in a private discussion, the g95 parser is basically a
> template matcher that is to brittle that I would rather not touch it for
> a while.
>
> So IMHO it would be best to start with the C front end.

I agree with that.

> The sooner we
> can show off our Great Effort to the GCC community, the more support
> we're likely to get, so I think we should be in GCC CVS.  Some
> sub-branch from the tree-ssa branch to 1) implement the OMP C pragmas
> and 2) Define the tree codes to go with that?
>

> >   A reasonable first goal would be to get the sentinels, ( '!omp' and
> > '#pragma omp' ) to the middle end.
>
> Agree.  We can make the middle end just ignore the extra information for
> now, that's always legal.

Can't we separate the projects? AFAIKS, there are a few issues:

a) parse the directives and make sure they are correct
b) propagate information to the middle end
c) decide how to deal with OpenMP in the middle end

All those things look to me pretty independent.

For instance, we (or some of us?) can start with the parser, a first step
would be to parse the openmp directives and deciding whether they are
correct or not, and ignoring them. When this is complete, a second step
would be to propagate them to the middle end and so forth.

Thoughts?

Biagio