RE: [Gomp-discuss] parallell vs. distributed

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] parallell vs. distributed
Date: 04 Feb 2003 18:09:14 +0100

Op di 04-02-2003, om 17:17 schreef Scott Robert Ladd:
> OpenMP was designed for SMP-like applications. Note that "SMP" is not
> limited to dual processor desktop machines; an example of an "SMP
> Supercomputer" is the new SGI Altix.

Pedantic: SGI Altix is *not* SMP ("symmetric multi processor").  Instead
it's a NUMA machine (Cray NUMAflex architecture on top of Intel Itanium)
:-P

I'd expect that NUMA and OpenMP don't go together very well unless you
can do some kind of decomposition of the problem.  IIRC that's BLOCK and
DISTRIBUTE in High Performance Fortran[1].  Hard stuff.

Greetz
Steven

[1] If anyone really cares BTW, there already exists a GPL'ed HPF
compiler called GMD Adaptor.