gnuherds-app-dev

Re: gnuherds development

From: Duarte Loreto
Subject: Re: gnuherds development
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:59:04 +0100

1) What do you think about Gnuherds?
2) What do you expect from this project?

Replying to the two in one, since I can't separate what I think from what I expect.

I think it is too ambitious. It is aiming a very high goal that I'm not sure will be archiavable without support by a major OSS company or entity backing, which probably colides with the democratic statute. Since FSF/RMS are showing incoherent and contraditory messages towards the project, my guess is that it will be a proof of concept or, at most, a niche hub to link small donators with small projects looking for funds.

Take into consideration that I'm not very optimistic by nature and that may hinder my capability to see the project's future. 10 years ago I never expected to see OSS being used so much in companies as I currently see...

3) How would you like to contribute?

I started by being the Portuguese translator and I believe I'll remain doing that task as best as I know. All my contributions to OSS for the last 9 years have been translations and I think it's where my skills can make the best contribution.

Duarte
--
http://perolasdagestao.blog.pt