Re: systemd replacement or standardization

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: systemd replacement or standardization
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 23:06:30 +0530

* Richard Stallman <address@hidden> [2019-10-21 22:43]:

>   > I would call projects like IceWM window manager to become GNU project,
>   > IceWM is one of fastest window managers, those maintainers could get
>   > some donation and move it into GNU. Then there is nice and small GNU
>   > Desktop. Why not?
>
> The first question is, would they like that?  Are they interested?
>
> Do they say anything about GNU?  If so, what attitude do they
> display?

As of now, their answer is that they think that there is more work
than benefit.

Example answer:

I too think that it is more work than benefit. (I have been around long enough
to see the Savannah project be born and die.)

Looking at the others' responses, I think that the answer is no.

I am not surprised that you got no response from Marko: I started this
fork because Marko would not respond to support requests nor
incorporate patches. Understandable, though: I hear he is a Submarine
Captain in the US Navy. We are thankful for all his efforts to create
a worthy window manager and influence the GNOME/WMH specification.

From:
https://github.com/bbidulock/icewm/issues/391

I am proposing to you that we campaign to attract various software
pieces. It is teaching developers what is free software movement, many
do not know, but just program.

I have given to them reference on how to apply, but that seems
unlikely.

Maybe you can suggest what benefits they are getting?

IceWM is great Window Manager which makes in my opinion a complete
desktop workspace. It is fast.

Jean