Re: systemd replacement or standardization

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: systemd replacement or standardization
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 01:17:30 +0530

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [2019-10-15 22:38]:
> So since we have GNU Shepherd and it will keep being developed why
> don't we ask GNOME on their stance?

In my opinion Gnome shall remain independent of the supervisor type.

In my opinion s6 and s6-rc is better, logical and more powerful
system for service management, see: http://skarnet.org/software/

And I have used it for quite some time, now using Hyperbola
GNU/Linux-libre https://www.hyperbola.info which is using OpenRC, not
bad, functional.

Well the service management is good when it "just works", easy to
setup, start, stop services, define run level.

I would like using GNU Shepherd, but now only Guix is using it and
using Guix is bloated, it asks user to download bunch of packages for
any version of the system, it compiles way too much, it is not a
system for average users and certainly not for those located in
countries with more expensive bandwidth.

> By that I mean, GNOME has moved away from GNU build tools and
> requires Systemd (I aknowldge you can replace it with forks but
> still). I remember reading about a discussion to remove the acronym
> too.

On Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre there is no systemd, and there is still
Gnome, it works fine.

> So in my opinion, we should reevaluate whether GNOME is a part of
> GNU and how open are they to reintegrate to GNU if the right tools
> are developed. If not, there are plenty of environments which are
> open and were open in the past to not be tied to one
> technology. XFCE,KDE etc.

There is not one single GNU operating system, so there are free system
distributions and their maintainers decide how and which software to
include.

Gnome is one part of the system and it does exist and is already
implemented in free software distributions.

The time of GNU as "sole" operating system is already for decades
over. The idea of Dr. Richard Stallman to build a new free software
operating system was realized practically for many people back in time
when somebody used Linux kernel and distributed first GNU distribution
with it. Then when GNU Hurd was not as practical and usable, Linux
within GNU became practical and usable.

Now there are many various GNU distributions, each can decide which
software to use. The distinction became blurry.

> The GNU desktop environment should be integrated with GNU in my
> opinion.

It is in most free software distributions already. Did you try it?

Which one do you use?

Jean