Re: Status

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:45:23 +0200 (CEST)

   > I must be missing something, stowfs and the GNU System Creator
   > are doing this already for quite some time, so this cannot be why
   > you started writting STUT (maybe I'm confusing you with someone
   > else, but I seem to recall that we discussed GSC/stowfs a while
   > back).

   You'r confused with BeeBS. BeeBS does nothing about package
   management.

Thank you for the clarification.

   BeeBS is just GSC, but it aims to be lighter, portable and easy to
   maintain and track compilation problems.

Could you show some examples of where GSC isn't `lighter, portable,
and easier to maintain' than pkgsrc?  It would help make GSC better.

I atleast have a hard time seeing any of those problems, GSC is
something like 10kb at its core, while pkgsrc's mk/ directory is 2.4
megabytes.  On top of it, pkgsrc uses a make which isn't even
available on GNU variants.  As for maintaining it, I haven't had any
problems, it was done in a way to require minimal maintaining.

I'd love to hear what you consider `heavy, unportable, and hard to
maintain' in GSC.

   > How is STUT different from GSC/stowfs?

   STUT implements the stow functionality into a transparent layer
   that allows to use't on non-hurd systems (ln's) or in hurd (not yet
   implemented, so, stowfs is not yet finished)

Personally, I don't see why one should bother with non-Hurd systems
here, our goal is after all GNU and supporting non-Hurd systems only
requires more effort from us.

I might be misreading something if so I apologise, but are you having
plans on writting a new stowfs?

   > Is there a possibility of merging the projects together?

   Of course. Stut if free to use and abuse.

That is merging programs, I was talking about merging projects, so we
don't duplicate work.

Cheers!