Re: Status

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:01:51 +0200 (CEST)

   > But stow does this, it stores it in the file-system.

   So, if the idea is to use stowfs instead of stow. I think that the
   only reason to use stow is to keep compatibility for non-hurd
   systems.

Maybe I was unclear, stowfs and stow store this information the same
way.  As files/directories in the file-system without any external
database backend.  Mixing stow and stowfs isn't a good idea I think.

   stowfs and stut are not comparable, stowfs doesn't stores any
   database information.  That's what stut does. It takes the pkg
   information and stores it on /var/db/ and manages it. So stut uses
   stow (or stowfs) to manage the package contents.

Ah, but stowfs does store it.  It stores it in the file system, as
part of the file-system.  The whole idea was to move away from a
central database, and store this information with each extracted
binary package, and then have stowfs gather this information into one
dynamic point.

Cheers.