Re: Status

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:06:28 +0200 (CEST)

Thank you for the brief description of Conary.

   Since we're using stowfs, what will we put on top of it? From what
   I can see, modified apt would work. Modified conary would also
   work. And we can always create something ourselves..

Would you like to try and see if you can get apt (or conary, but I
think apt is a better choice since it is widely used) working with our
binary packages (one can simply ignore the SUMMARY/ directory for
now)?

   Conary isn't as mature as apt. Apt has some useful graphical tools
   that conary lacks - like dselect, synaptic...

   (conary's so simple it doesn't need any graphical apps :P )

Users will still probobly want such tools, I think GNOME includes a
front-end for apt already, so that is I think more reason to stick to
apt-get.  Or atleast, something that is similar enough to apt-get that
making these programs work with the new version won't be a major
undertaking.

Thank you.