Re: Status

From: pancake
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:09:21 +0200

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 01:41:03AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    BTW using the pkgsrc format or a compatible one (extended) would be
>    nice.  IMHO
>
> I agree.  Is the following format compatible?
>
> PACKAGE-NAME/bin/COMMAND
> PACKAGE-NAME/share/info/COMMAND.info

Nope, is just one directory down. The pkgname-version/ base directory
is what stut does to install the packages.

So pkgsrc stores more information inside the package, like description,
size, author, maintainer, compiler version, dependencies, conflicts, etc.

> This is the most basic format. It will be hard to move everything down
> one subdirectory, since one should be able to simply do `tar -xf
> foo.tgz', without getting the current working directory full of
> garbage.

I agree.

>    stut stores a independent database of installed packages and
>    versions.  It does what stow doesn't does.
>
> But stow does this, it stores it in the file-system.

So, if the idea is to use stowfs instead of stow. I think that the
only reason to use stow is to keep compatibility for non-hurd systems.

So to setup this stuff on stowfs is just one line of shell using stut.

>    I know what GNU have and what Debian have and how works, but i'm
>    just trying to expose a "new" view or possibility for the GNU
>    package system.
>
> I atleast do not see what new views you are showing.  I'm all for new
> ideas, but as of right your post as been more of a--no offence
> meant--advertisment, and hasn't really explained what is a `new' view
> or possibility for the GNU package system.  Could you explain what
> this `new' view is?  How is it usefull?  What does STUT/pkgsrc achive
> that is stowfs/GSC cannot?

stut is independent from operating system and binary package format (ATM),
by now we're using the pkgsrc format just for simplicity and to be able
to use the pkg pool of it. BTW adapt stut to GSC will be a <1h of work.

stowfs and stut are not comparable, stowfs doesn't stores any database
information. That's what stut does. It takes the pkg information and stores
it on /var/db/ and manages it. So stut uses stow (or stowfs) to manage
the package contents.

stut gives a commandline interface to manage the software packages allowing
to handle more than one version of the same package in a simple way. There'r
other commands comparable to the apt-get ones.

--pancake