Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Docker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Docker
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 22:16:35 -0400

  > yes, that was all denis - he was also the most ardent about finally moving
  > forward on more of these TPPMs

Sorry, I don't know the term "TPPM".

You've described a lot of information, but I have trouble
understanding it clearly.  The text doesn't always say whether
it is talking about the standard Docker or the modified Docker.

When it describes the modified Docker, it doesn't always state
explicitly how that differs from the standard Docker.  Remember, I
don't know what the standard Docker does!

In order for me to see what the modification consists of I need to see
description of the standard Docker and the modified Docker in direct
contrast.

This is going to take more typing than you would need to explain to
a person who is familiar with Docker.

  > generally, a more desirable fix is one that behaves exactly as the standard
  > tool, without manual user configuration, yet offers libre-only software
  > selection

That seems right to me on general principles, IF there are many free programs
that a user could find by looking in the standard Docker site.

Are there a lot of containers in the standard Docker site which we can
treat as ok for a free system to recommend?  That is a crucial
question.  If the answer is no, we would need to start our own repo
from scratch.  If the answer is yes, we would wish to find a way to
filter the containers in the standard Docker site, but is that doable?