Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 05:58:17 -0400

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:55:29 -0400 Richard wrote:
> The question is not whether ScummVM false into the category of "0 free
> games need it" or "1 or more free games need it".

agreed - but there are good reasons to prefer the logical approach

for one, decisions based on logic are objectively verifiable, and they can be
decided in a finite amount of time - decisions relying on judgments are
subjective, and can drag on indefinitely - if decisions must be re-evaluated
for every similar instance, it becomes a sisyphusian task - that is quite
important when we are dealing with a pool of many thousands of softwares, any
of which may have subjective criticisms

secondly, the subjective approach is what we have now, with common issues
going unresolved for years - it is also, why we have FSDG distros arriving at
conflicting conclusions, regarding which software are fit and which are not

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:55:29 -0400 Richard wrote:
> The question is whether the free games that need ScummVM are
> significant enpugh to change the judgment from "basically this is a
> way of running old nonfree games" to "this makes senss in the Free
> World."

my opinion is even simpler - ScummVM is not significant enough to warrant a
single word of this discussion

i can understand the need of that deliberation for popular or "high-profile"
software - i propose that the microsoft dotnet suite is one of those, which has
never been discussed - it would pass the threshold of "1 or more free clients
exist"; but "does the free world need it?" is dubious and highly subjective

if taken on a one-by-one basis, this discussion is exemplary of the
inefficiency of the subjective approach, per the desirability/work-load ratio,
which i use to decide which to keep, which to fix, and which to discard -
discussions such as this, weigh in on the work-load factor, while the
desirability of ScummVM decreases with each passing "gaming aeon" (roughly 5
years)