Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:02:29 +0200

Hello,

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>   > ruben also suggested that such licenses are already deemed
>   > acceptable, referring to the precedent case of the OFL fonts
>   > license
>
> What is the license condition in question?  What are its words?
> That may be a topic I can resolve, given the facts.

on June 14 [1] I added some details about the secific licensing terms,
this is a renewed version of my previous message, sorry for the
repetition.

the note on the GNU license list on SIL OFL 1.1 [2] states:

The Open Font License (including its original release, version 1.0) is a
free copyleft license for fonts. Its only unusual requirement is that
when selling the font, you must redistribute it bundled with some
software, rather than alone. Since a simple Hello World program will
satisfy the requirement, it is harmless.

this is the relevant text regardind the selling conditions in the SIL
Open Font License 1.1 [3]:

1) Neither the Font Software nor any of its individual components, in
Original or Modified Versions, may be sold by itself.

2) Original or Modified Versions of the Font Software may be bundled,
redistributed and/or sold with any software, provided that each copy
contains the above copyright notice and this license. These can be
included either as stand-alone text files, human-readable headers or
in the appropriate machine-readable metadata fields within text or
binary files as long as those fields can be easily viewed by the user.

the relevant text from the game Beneath a Steel Sky v.1.2 [4] license
(one of the games in scummVM extras source folder) is this:

 2) You may charge a reasonable copying fee for this archive, and may
distribute it in aggregate as part of a larger & possibly commercial
software distribution (such as a Linux distribution or magazine
coverdisk). You must provide proper attribution and ensure this readme
and all associated copyright notices, and disclaimers are left intact.

 3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes
reselling the game as an individual item.

No doubt both are (very) poorly worded from a legal point of view but
AFAIU the "Beneath a Steel Sky v.1.2" license have the same **legal**
effect of the SIL OFL 1.1

Best regards, Giovanni.

[1] message-id:87sfauff66.fsf@xelera.eu

[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.en#SILOFL