Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Docker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Docker
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:56:26 -0400

  > The fix[1] is far form ideal since I'm a complete beginner in the go
  > programming language.

Was it you who implemented this fix?  You didn't say so; you said
only that it had been fixed in Parabola.  Thanks for working on it.

Whether the code us clean is not something we need to discuss.  The
crucial issue here is whether the _approach used_ is a good one --
whether this is the right way to do things.

  > I changed the default repository to http://localhost but since nothing
  > is there, it doesn't pull images by default from docker hub anymore.

That seems rather drastic.  Will Docker, thus modified, still function
for the legitimate jobs (using free software only) that users expect
it to do?

  > Before 'docker pull pureos/byzantium' downloaded a PureOS image from
  > docker hub (which is hosted at docker.io).

I know much less about docker than you do.  I have no idea what that
command means.  I don't understand its arguments, even, because there
is no explanation of them.  What is `byzantium'?  What is `pureos/byzantium'?

It sounds like you think the new behavior is flawed.
What would desirable fixed behavior be?  Do you think that an expert
would be able to implement that aasily and with full cprrectness?

Keep in mind that all I know about Docker is that it packages programs
together in a container.

If you don't have a real solution ready, we could put this off and
deal with it later.