Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:20:46 -0400

  > Fine, but not having ScummVM packaged would add several steps before 1. The
  > amount of steps matters. Just because there are still several steps
  > required does not mean that adding more steps has no impact.

To inflict an hour of extra work, once per computer, on the members of
a cult following of a retrocomputing emulator for running nonfree
games is, after all, a rather small issue.  Unless an issue is
of no significance, this is not enough to sway it.

We have found no reason to consider ScummVM's inclusion in free
distros to be a good thing, but there remains the question of whether
its inclusion is harmful enough to state a position or rule, and if
so, what that should say.  A rule not to include it would be the
strongest possible response, but a software response might be better.

I thimk that a stated recommendation to omit ScummVM might be a good
measure to take now.

It could refer to the documentation's promotion of nonfree games, that
you cited, and say that at least that promotion should not be in the
distro.