Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:01:43 +0200

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 21:53:12 -0400
Ruben Rodriguez <ruben@gnu.org> wrote:

> On 4/25/23 21:58, bill-auger wrote:
> > yes, that the game engine is libre; but the games mentioned in the
> > OP all have the "no-selling" license
> >
> > just to note that those four games are the only known to exist
> > which are not totally proprietary - without those, distros would
> > likely stop distributing the game engine also; so its a "package
> > deal" really
>
> I'm late to this discussion, but I'd like to point out that there is
> at least one GPL game for scummvm: http://www.ucw.cz/draci-historie/
Thanks a lot, before I tried with Mystery House (Public domain), but I
didn't manage to extract the files.

Here draci-historie has source code, and a cleaned up source zip,
etc.

Though we might need, starting from the source code, to find a way to
run it in ScummVM to make sure that it has no nonfree dependencies (like
nonfree compilers, nonfree tools to make an image that runs in ScummVM,
etc).

> On the topic of the games with the "may distribute it in aggregate
> [...] commercial software distribution", those are under a badly
> written but sufficiently free license. This position is backed by
> this similar case:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SILOFL
Thanks a lot.

So now I'll need to look into the game archives.

Denis.