Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Packaging JavaScript games, Was: Adding some scumm

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Packaging JavaScript games, Was: Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 23:07:02 -0400

  > One of the issue here is finding how to properly package and integrate
  > such games in FSDG distributions. A way could be to package the HTML
  > page and somehow find a way to properly launch a browser to play the
  > game.

At a minimum, it could tell you how to launch the game by visiting
a file: URL referring to the copy you installed in your home directory.
That's not the most convenient, but it is adequate.

  > This needs a bit of research as we'd also need not to interfere with
  > users browser usage and games might need special settings to work[3],
  > or might need a browser patched to remove privacy protections or with
  > different kind of protections.

Why is this absolutely necessary?  There are lots of other things to
work on.  I suggest NOT adopting the goal of making this fully
convenient, but rather the lesser goal of promotig practices that will
make it at least doable, because that would be enough basis to push
for devs include support for local installation in their games.

That is enough for our purpose -- to be a reason why the game
source package should be free.

Basically, this is not a high priority.  Other things you work on are
very important.  So please don't let thistake a lot of your time awqy
from the high priority goals.  If you can do something quickly to
encourage people about free JS games, please do -- otherwise let it
drop.