Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0? (was re: Google...)

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0? (was re: Google...)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:01:47 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:52:45PM -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:

> * Personal Partial Answer: Who is our target market?
>
>  I think it should include:
>    ~ GNU/Linux distribution projects (both commercial and public)
>    ~ small, especially new free software projects

why only "small, especially new" and "free"? I'd expect arch to be able
to handle *any* kind of software project. Personally, I'd sort some of the
ultra-large projects into the "nice-to-have" category, though.

>    ~ teams of people using office applications rather than programming
> per se
>    ~ public-knowledge-repository projects such as Wikipedia

I don't think an RCS should have any special knowledge about specific
applications. An RCS as such should be able to handle office stuff
or wikis or whatever as binary or maybe plain text files, nothing more.
Keep It Small & Simple.

An RCS *should* be extendable in a way that made it better at handling
specific file formats, e. g. by making the diff and merge algorithms
exchangable.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany