[Gnu-arch-users] site conventions was: newbies should neither be seen no

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] site conventions was: newbies should neither be seen nor heard
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:15:11 +1000

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:11:50 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> Eg 2, the {archives} directory seems to be almost entirely a
> local site-specific policy issue. In which case, the tutorial
> should be changed to reflect this (thus lowering one more
> barrier to entry).

Indeed, perhaps it is worthwhile listing site conventions?

At work, I've asked everyone to setup:
        ~/arch/archives/address@hidden

The rationale for this is that if you decide to mirror someone elses
archive -- inenvitable after working with arch, I've found, they too end
up in ~/arch/archives/. Also ...

        ~/arch/revision-library

... the structure is similiar to ~/arch/revision-library/ where each
repository is a seperate directory.

We also have a shared archive, and rather than cycle on a yearly basis, as
staff do, we have seperate ones for different clients. Our current
conventions are:

        address@hidden<client>/<codename>--project--0

<codename> is the <client> monkier for any project, and --project is used
to store client related materials. For source, we use the branch, as in:

        address@hidden<client>/<codename>--devel--0.0

In this case 0.0, as that will be released to the client with a version
number which we can usefully use to track things against.

I probably should write this up in the wiki but network issues seem to be
preventing me.

Regards,
Anand