Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:31:05 +0900

    Peter> you were mistaken when you wrote that paragraph. Although I
    Peter> got used to them I still don't like them. They're still a
    Peter> PITA everytime I want to edit {arch}/=tagging-method.

Yeah, it can be a PITA.  I haven't fixed my bash or zsh because I
mostly name files to edit in XEmacs[1] which only has electric
behavior on '~' and '/' (characters which even Tom wouldn't touch, I
daresay), so when I do need to use those names from the shell, I get
surprised.

But I've discovered that I like the convention, although I use a
smaller set of characters.  In particular, I've found leading "=" and
{name} to be useless, but I use leading '+' for "precious" (ie,
somehow extraneous to the containing directory but not junk, such as
personal notes on bugs and RFEs of other people's software) and
leading ',' for "junk" files in all kinds of contexts now, and the
sort-by-usage property is useful pretty much every day.

Footnotes:
[1]  Not being contentious.  The 'X' may matter because AFAIK Emacs
has different policy toward electricity here.