Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Marcus Sundman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:23:31 +0300

On Saturday 28 August 2004 20:02, Michael Poole wrote:
> 1) You have not defined any specific problems that you want to solve,
>    then you assume that we are too stupid to solve your problem.  So
>    far you have made complaints analogous to "arch should solve the
>    code attribution problem."

First of all I originally only tried to get answers to a few questions, and
almost immediately people started bashing wildly.

That said, the problem here was very specific. No link in the chain should
lose the essential piece of metadata referred to as "encoding info". If it
is lost then there is no way to get it back. How is this not specific?

> 2) You insist that the best way to solve an uncommon problem (most
>    users have no confusion about encoding systems) is by arch
>    providing a special-purpose hook.

I have insisted no such thing. Also, in my experience the problem is way too
common.

> 3) You pretend that once arch provides this hook, all the related
>    problems will be solved.

I most certainly do not, and I have never said anything of the kind. Either
you must have grave comprehension problems or you are outright lying.

> If you want us to take you seriously, it would be helpful to be very
> specific about how and where you believe your problem occurs and why
> arch is a good place to solve this problem.

The problem occurs when one link in the chain behaves badly. Arch is one
link in the chain. Exactly what is it that you don't understand?

- Marcus Sundman