Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:15:37 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (Zenaan Harkness)

    > > Enough is enough, already.

    > Excuse my pop-culture ignorance, but I've seen/ heard this
    > ", already" phrasing so many times - where did it come from/
    > what does it mean?

Consult a linguist but, from the pop-lingusistics perspective:

It means, roughly, "This (whatever) has been going on too long.
We all know that can't continue.   So, let's get to the point
where we can say `ah... we *already* fixed that'."

As in a conversation having nothing to do with software:

   a. Hey, let's get some ice cream!

   b. No, first I want to tell you about theory of why
      daisies have yellow centers.

   a. Uh... ok....

   b. Well, first, let's discuss plants in general [...]

   [.... 10 hours later ....]

   b. And that's why sea algy is so cool!  Now, to land
      plants....

   a. Um, can't we put this discussion on hold and
      go get ice cream, already?

I.e., it's kind of like "You want this done *yesterday*?!?!" ----
except with "already" isntead of "yesterday".