[Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:37:06 -0400

>> > An editor cannot possibly know which encoding a file has.
>> Looks like you began with an empirically false statement. Mine does.
> You are kidding, right?

Go read the definition of "empirically".
Of course, in theory it's all a really serious problem.
In practice, it's a very minor problem which bites raely and when it does
it's usually obvious and easy to fix.

I'm sure you can give me real-life examples where some encoding
misunderstanding lead a nuclear reactir to explode (or maybe not), but this
problem is so much larger than Arch that it just feels wrong for tla to try
and fix it.

        Stefan