Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:38:11 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord wrote:

    > > There is a little more sloppiness crept in, these days, than I
    > > would like to see (e.g., src/tla/cmdutils.[ch] is *utter*crap*!!!!!!!!
    > > Did I slip up and tell me to "hey, just abandon all pretense of
    > > following coding conventions;  go nuts!"?)

    > I'm mostly responsible for the current state of cmdutils.  I am sorry
    > about that update bug-- that came from code I merged from Walters.  Is
    > there other crapulence I should watch out for?

Please learn to format/structure your code more like me.  No, that
isn't an ego thing.  I *will* write up a fresh coding standards
document with some rationales attached (since nobody gets all the
(non-randomly chosen) details right).  For now, please try harder to
fake it.

The choice of function names in cmdutils is crap (misleading in some
cases, as I recall).

The comments in the file are crap (missing or uselessly vague, as I
recall).

The first task I had to perform to figure out the bug was to *reverse
engineer* what the freakin function was supposed to do.    That step
should have been a triviality but wasn't.

It's a "nobody cares about this stuff" file.

If we can't muster a few pleasant afternoons of cleaning such crap up
by people aside from me --- then I don't think we have a very
effective team.

All that said:

tla as a whole, all the code I poured into it initially.... well, it's
a hecka lot better than cmdutils.c but all of my code there *also*
violates my coding standards (though a bit less severely).   So blame
me as much as anyone else but....

Enough is enough, already.