Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]

From: oddmund
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:07:37 +0100 (CET)

MJ Ray a écrit :

> Yet more trolling that mentions the currently-being-changed[1] Debian
> trademark policy in an attempt to belittle the Debian approach as "not
> entirely consistent".
(...)
> It's not inconsistency - it's "which goal gets more weight?" Argue
> the weightings are wrong if you want (please), but the approach is
> consistent.

Did I mention any inconsistency in the Debian project? No, I think you
misunderstood.

On the other hand I am not sure that Canonical's Debian clone is the best
basis for an entirely free GNU/Linux distribution and the Mozilla Firefox
case is just illustrating a problem that most likely will appear in
similar ways later. Managing a free Firefox solution in gNewSense could
become complicated. I suppose the GNU and Debian effort will end up in one
common project -- Iceweasel.  With a little chance this might merge into
Ubuntu after a while and then easily be picked up by gNewSense. The
problem is predicting and controlling the situation. Even if gNewSense  is
or want to be free, it depends on the Ubuntu repositories, which is less
free and possibly will go further in that non-freeish direction in order
to keep a 'user-friendly' and popular profile (an important aspect of the
Ubuntu hype and the 'Open $ource' trend).

Oddmund

PS: I know that the permission to ship Mozilla Firefox without the
trademarked icons and logos was *taken away* from Debian (while
Ubuntu/Canonical got permission to use the same package because they 'kept
the lines of communication wide open', as the space invader stated it...).
id.