Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]

From: oddmund
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:38:56 +0100 (CET)

Paul O'Malley wrote:

> However I do see that ice weasel is a nice project, what it would do if
> it ended up in gNewSense I don't know.
> Remember that sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox breaks
> yelp
> gnome-app-install
> (the meta package ubuntu-desktop)
> and lastly
> firefox (doh)

Well, that is one of the problems being synchronised towards the Ubuntu
repositories (Gnome), including the non-free version of Firefox.
Ubuntu/Canonical 'kept the lines of communication wide open' and got an
'arrangement' with the Mozilla Foundation
<http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/79>. Ubuntu will continue
shipping the standard Mozilla Firefox, while GNU/Linux Debian lost their
permission to ship Firefox with a free logo and icon. (Ubuntu is still
using the GNU/Linux Debian package...).

The Iceweasel name appeared during internal discussions  about Mozilla's
trademark problems within the Debian Project in 2004 and 2005. Now the GNU
people have published their own fork under the same name, so the whole
Iceweasel project could become confusing if these two projects are not
unified. I know that Debian developers are trying to work out a solution
with the GNU organisation
<http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3636651> and I hope they
will be able to create a common project. I suppose that gNewSense as a
free project (even supported by FSF) logically will follow the same
direction...

Oddmund Garvik