Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] more on firefox and one possible fix]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:17:45 +0000

address@hidden wrote: [...]
> Ubuntu/Canonical 'kept the lines of communication wide open' and got an
> 'arrangement' with the Mozilla Foundation
> <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/79>.

Yet more trolling that mentions the currently-being-changed[1] Debian
trademark policy in an attempt to belittle the Debian approach as "not
entirely consistent".  The article fails to mention that the Debian
trademark bug is a known bug (it's somewhere in bugs.debian.org) and
that the current Debian Project Leader "deprioritised"[2] fixing it.

[1]: http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/address@hidden
[2]: http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/address@hidden

Also, the firmware-in-etch vote was pragmatism, after it had (sadly)
come down to a choice between getting a release including firmware
out, delaying to fix that bug, or a bulk recall of delegates.  As we
can't even recall the DPL after stunts like deprioritising trademark
bugfixes and much more, that left including or delaying as likely
outcomes.  Were the mooted delays realistic?  I don't know.  How long
did it take for gNewSense devs to produce a non-free-less kernel?

It's not inconsistency - it's "which goal gets more weight?"  Argue
the weightings are wrong if you want (please), but the approach is
consistent.

> Ubuntu will continue
> shipping the standard Mozilla Firefox, while GNU/Linux Debian lost their
> permission to ship Firefox with a free logo and icon.

We didn't lose it.  It was taken away.  MozCorp know that they are
changing the previous agreement between MoFo and Debian.

[...]
> The Iceweasel name appeared during internal discussions  about Mozilla's
> trademark problems within the Debian Project in 2004 and 2005. [...]

The name appeared first in public
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/02/msg00279.html rather than
anything internal.  MoFo people participated in later threads there.

Hope that helps,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble