Re: [glob2-devel] Suggestion to improve glob2 visibility

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Suggestion to improve glob2 visibility
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:35:07 +0100

Hi

> Ouch :S Able to reproduce with a bt?

actually we "presented" 4 bugs.
-forbidden areas seam to only work on local gradients,
-game crashed on first frame when using nicowar (no further testing),
-game crashes when setting a mark (m-key),
-exploration flags still initialize with 0 units assigned.

> Globulation 2's only feature atm is for screenshots, then compiling them
> together into a frame by frame video. ew! Can we add some real open source
> video codec to record video and sound into a compressed movie or
> something?

mybe we can automate this whole process chain so the screenshots go into some
image magic processing (opt out: www.globulation2.org overlay, opt out: (c)
Playername) and an .ogg-container while deleting the images while playing.
Here what would be best would be to not store the images to disc as disc access
slows down gameplay dramatically with screenshot option. still i would want to
have a "reduce speed" option as i think the chat interface is a cool way to
explain on the video.

> already. We arn't getting new people. A major game magazine, television,
> radio, or popular podcasts/vidcasts would be a good place to start. But it
> might be best to wait till 1.0 before we do anything.

That's what we've been talking about, too. Contact other media. Hype the game
in offline media, too.

> Could work, but it would require more than just genixpro submitting "ive
> implemented this and fixed this" ;) Plans, new code, irc discussions, etc.
> Anything related to development that could really expand it! I'll set up a
> trial wordpress blog later.

I don't see a need for yet another platform now. We already have the wiki and
the forum. Please developers use the forum to get in touch with fans.

I also proposed to Stephane to hype about his person what actually was meant
seriously. Well maybe not only about his person but about all developers.
How about a regular irc session when fans can chat about features. many times
players are very excited about actually talking to a dev. people don't expect
that.
I could imagine if we set up a time with all the devs online once a week or
twice a month players might take their time to talk to us. Or maybe only one
dev at a time. this week the guy who did random maps, next week the founder,
next the packager, ...

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb