Re: [glob2-devel] Suggestion to improve glob2 visibility

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Suggestion to improve glob2 visibility
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:48:51 +1300

Hey Nct,

> I've given the FOSDEM talk; it went well even if the game crashed on demonstration, probably because of recent changes on Nicowar.

Ouch :S Able to reproduce with a bt?

>- fuse contributors/developers on the web site

How do you mean this? I personally think we need a way for people to easily submit content (whether new music, bug fixes, or images), without having to go through the mailing lists and mercurial access permissions. Something where they can upload a zipped file of all their work (<10mb), and then the devs could review and choose what to implement in their next merge.

>- in the web front page, instead of a pink alert message, we should put nice direct links to binaries for common system

I've got this as well as a nice makeover for the downloads page planned. Something similar to the download page of Wormux. It's simple, effective, no hassle. We also need to have more packages. I can handle source tgz, Windows, and Mandriva 2008, but I'm not going to have enough time to spend making the scripts to create packages on others (if I've got a premade working script though, I'll be happy to download the distro for making the package).

I think with every release, we should at least have binaries for the latest distros of Debian, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, Mac OSx, openSUSE, and FreeBSD. Again, all I'd need is premade scripts, and I'll just boot into each OS, and make the package when we are about to release.

>- making more game videos available, in particular, we could make short videos showing some specific feature/game technique

Globulation 2's only feature atm is for screenshots, then compiling them together into a frame by frame video. ew! Can we add some real open source video codec to record video and sound into a compressed movie or something? Or will we have to rely on screen recorders?

>- advertising the fosdem talk video once they are available

Planned. Will have them on the homepage for sometime. Just waiting for the videos to be released.

>- do more fuzz all around the net

I dont think its "more" fuzz we need, rather "better" fuzz. Places we have been advertising at are mainly the same linux users who know the game already. We arn't getting new people. A major game magazine, television, radio, or popular podcasts/vidcasts would be a good place to start. But it might be best to wait till 1.0 before we do anything.

>- add development blog

Could work, but it would require more than just genixpro submitting "ive implemented this and fixed this" ;) Plans, new code, irc discussions, etc. Anything related to development that could really expand it! I'll set up a trial wordpress blog later.

Regards
Kieran