Re: [glob2-devel] Forum restored on its new home

From: MOA3333
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Forum restored on its new home
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:42:10 +0100

Gabriel Walt wrote:

(How did you found this one from that huge list of wikis??)

Well it was a few months ago nct and I searched for a php wiki. I think we entered something like "wiki php" into google and watched the 10 first wikis we found like that. I think we also wanted groups and user hierarchy, because like that we can use it for the whole web site and simply make that some pages are only editable by specific people. We were also sensitive to the fact that hacks can be easily integrated - such as the script we use to display the ftp content or the contributors list.

That is good if we put it with the main page, it will be more easy to make everythink up to date and well structured (not having two web sites...)

PS:  i want to help with the migration, if this means copy paste of all
pages that's ok, if there are diferences in the syntax, some simple perl
scripts will do the work.

Ok thank you very much - so this will make the whole migration faster! :)

Note that this will erase all the history!  Maybe there is a cleaner way
to make the switch...

Yes, but I think that it's not tragic... The history is mainly useful to be able to undo what some destructive users did. Of course if there is an easy way to keep the history we should do that... but I dont think there is.

Well, "techncally speaking", we should be careful on the fdl that may require that we keep everyone who participated in every page. I dont think we nead to keep also a trace about how much everyone participated, but i am not an expert in FDL....

Nct: we should do that soon - can you please already simply install pmwiki on epfl.ysagoon.com/wiki. So that we can already start the migration. And as soon as it's finished we'll then change wiki.ysagoon.com and make it point to epfl.ysagoon.com/wiki. Shall we migrate the whole web site into the wiki or only the wiki for now? What do you think? Migrating the whole web site is nearer to our vision of what ysagoon.com should be, but will probably take more time than only migrating the wiki.

Gabriel

I think we shall migrate all th page from the main page, so that we have a good structure without migrating all the content.... so that we can migrate and then migrate the web site easily...

We shouldalso choose a skin. First we will use a skin that exists, then we can modify it for when we nead.

I looked at all the skins, and i found one skin that i like a lot is BeeblebroxNetGila:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BeeblebroxNetGila

this skin is the only one that is well done, i mean XHTML 1.0 Strict, and CSS2.....

It is very colored so we can see the titles well, and at the same time simple. (it is the only one that has no blue, if we want blue we can modify this one later...)

The other one that is XHTML is Lean Skin, but it is too black and white for glob2 i think, and it has some little poblems with resizing the window size

The other skins i think they are not very well done "technicaly speaking".