Re: AFFS Website (Was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Once more, unto the constitution, d

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: AFFS Website (Was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Once more, unto the constitution, dear friends...)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:29:28 +0000

Alex:
> Text, links, what more do you want? The moon on a stick? :)

Formatting.

> Seriously, I am willing to break the old content/presentation rule a
> little bit - swap some divs for ps, etc. The site should work on
> anything though, it's just going to look boring...

Basically, splitting content from presentation is good, you need to avoid
splitting semantics from markup.  div is all well and good, but it conveys
no meaning unless you are reading all the metadata, which browsers are not
required to do.  In most cases, using a tag with meaning (eg h2 for
second-level headings) and appropriate stylesheet settings is better.

> Sounds like the colour registration on your monitor is way out :P

And my eyes ;)  Seriously, I need a new monitor, but my eyes are rather
imperfect, so black on green is never going to have that much contrast.  I
have similar problems with red/green, although I'm not colour-blind.

> > Validating pages?  tidy is your friend.
> tidy is a sawnoff shotgun ;) That said, I did run validate over them, so
> they definitely should be pretty close to the spec.

Oh, for sure, but if used correctly, it can blast a hole in the correct
location.

Anyway, I'm in no real position to comment, as I need to fix my site's
production system.  My excuse is that I'm concentrating on AFFS and don't
want to break more things right now.
--
MJR